Thursday, September 13, 2007

Wow

Umm so yeah, I have been in school for four days. I have officially been a student for four days... unreal. In that time I have had one class and have not had a chance to make a single post. So I guess that is the typical life of a grad student. No time, never enough time. I have to say though; it does feel good to be learning something in a classroom setting again. I have Economics on Mondays and Marketing on Saturdays. We all need to pray on Econ. I took it twice in undergrad, Econ 100 and 101. Let's just say I left much to be desired. So, this time around I am taking it more seriously and I’m learning something. I just completed my first homework assignment, which is a good thing. I have to meet with my group Saturday after class to discuss it. So whether I answered the questions correctly is another story, but at least I finished them and did all the required reading. Not bad for someone who hasn't been in school for a while huh?

I guess the lesson of this first week is time management. In the first week that I start school, my job also decided to become a little hectic. But hey I will make it work; I don't really have a choice do I? The key is going to be time management. I studied during lunch today and I see that being a regular thing for me. I can’t wait until the evening to do everything. I will drive myself crazy. With time management being the theme I posted some tips below (these were taken from my own experiences in the last week):


1.) Realize that there are only 24 hours in a day. I know we all want more, but 24 is all you get.

2.) Figure out when and where you're wasting time. Then save it by doing something productive.

3.) Set specific goals. You can’t be successful if you don’t know what you’re trying to achieve.

4.) Prioritize, Prioritize, and Prioritize. I think that is self-explanatory.

5.) Take a break when you need one. A short break, because if not you won’t be productive at what you do.

6.) Make a schedule. You can do one daily or weekly, whatever works for you.

7.) Do your part and delegate. If you are assigned a task, do it, and let others do their part. I know there are a lot of type-A personalities out there. But it is ok if you don’t do everything.

8.) ORGANIZATION if key. Use a day planner, blackberry, treo or electronic device of your choice to help you stay organized. If you need to have post-it notes all around you, whatever works, just make sure you know what needs to be done.

9.) Sleep, you can’t be productive if you don’t get any rest.

10.) Make sure you have a supporting cast. Whether it is friends, family member, co-workers, whomever… Make sure you have support around and you ask them for help. None of us can make it in this world alone.

Well, it is late so I guess I should take my own advice. Good night